Sunday, August 02, 2015

More From Me @Medium


 


The Girl Who Invented 'Hella'


Hey, teenagers of today and Gwen Stefani, guess what? You did not invent the word “hella.” I will tell you who did: Anna G — , a small but mighty Filipina who was the de facto queen of all kids of color at my junior high school in Daly City, California, circa 1979.

I realize my claim will cause controversy.

Journalist George McIntire, in his article “Hella Facts About the Word Hella,” fails to even mention Anna, Daly City, or the year 1979. He states that the origin of the word is “muddled,” and that “Hunters Point is its birthplace.” Oh but you are wrong, Journalist George McIntire. In fact, you are hella wrong.

Read the rest right here!


 ______________________________________________________________________


With an illustration by my daughter, Vida!

 

"Four Things You Cannot Do: A Gentle Reminder"


I’ve been as clear as I know how to be, but you are so willful, so stubborn. I’m nothing if not patient, and I’m happy to run through it all again at whatever pace suits you. You ready? Let’s do this!

One…You cannot tell me who I am

And yet sometimes you tell me I’m Chinese. Or a bitch. Or a Chinese bitch. A month ago, we drove past each other and you called, “Cunt!” into my open window. Why’d you do that? Anyways: you’re wrong on all accounts because I am not Chinese, a bitch, or a cunt! Your streak of utter wrongness continues when you insist that I’m the nanny. I am not the nanny. I would be remiss if I failed to point out that I am also not the Japanese-American woman you vaguely know from somewhere (first clue: I’m not Japanese-American!), and the longer you continue in this vein the more embarrassed we’re both going to be at the end of our awkward exchange.


Read the rest right here!


No comments: