Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Sunday Post

Friday night while absentmindedly wandering around Borders, I was so happy to see Merlinda Bobis' first novel, Banana Heart Summer, sitting pretty on the best spot in the house: the "new paperback fiction" table. I bought it, of course, and it has joined my slowly rising pile of summer reading. Here are some of the other titles awaiting me:

A Problem From Hell: America and the Age of Genocide by Samantha Powers (she who called Hillary Clinton "a monster," and then was forced to resign from her post as one of Barack Obama's foreign policy advisors. Sigh.)

The Egyptologist by Arthur Phillips

Little, Big by John Crowley (I've been trying to read this for a year now)

The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon

And last night we had a reunion of the "Sayulita 15" (not to be confused with the "Oceanic 6"), and several people confessed that they had spent more than a reasonable amount of time trying to devise a way to live on the beach in Mexico.

Shuboy flew in from Madison, WI, yesterday, and so today the two of us are heading into the city to help our parents finish up their packing. And then tomorrow I will help ensconce them in their bright and shiny new nest which is, most helpfully, located only a few minutes from ours. I'm quite giddy about this, in case you haven't noticed. I realize now it's because I haven't lived in the same city as my parents since I was seventeen years old.

LATER...Of course while I was at my mom and dad's, I made a quick sojourn to Green Apple, which is hands-downs the best place to find sale books. I picked up...

The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (I LOVED Fingersmith). For a whopping $4.98!

A Fine Balance by Rhinton Mistry (another book I've been meaning to read for a long time). For a whopping $5.98!

What It Is by Lynda Barry (Download a few pages here; it's so wonder-full). This wasn't a sale find, but never mind.

No comments: