Monday, June 18, 2007

Strawberry Shortcake La-La-La

I don't know what the heck that title means, but I'm going with it.

Okay, so one of the things I love about Summer is that I can make a leisurely breakfast for the kids, as opposed to screaming Eat something! Grab a yogurt! Put Grape Nuts! And you can put some chocolate chips, too! Hurry up! We're gonna be late! Or, okay, you can have toast! But put peanut butter on it! Don't forget to drink milk! And an apple! Eat an apple! Hurry! Hurry! Hurry! from my bedroom while I get dressed.

Today, on this first official day of summer vacation, I made strawberry shortcakes. Strawberry shortcakes are, arguably, a dessert. But why? Why must that be? A biscuit is breakfast food. Strawberries can be breakfast food. Why are they not breakfast food when served together?

Big questions, those.

And now, if you'll allow me, I will take you on an unbelievably exciting pictorial tour of my strawberry shortcake process. Here are the biscuit ingredients in the mixing bowl:


Told you it was exciting. Here, now, is the biscuit dough spooned out onto the baking pan:


Here are the lovely, but lonely strawberries awaiting their handsome biscuits:


Here are the handsome biscuits fresh from the oven:


And here are the lovely strawberries and handsome biscuits, together at last:


I think maybe I will make this again soon. Like...tomorrow.

3 comments:

Rebecca Mabanglo-Mayor said...

Now see, you really /did/ make breakfast. It looks positively healthy without the necessary whipped cream *grin*

Looks very yummy tho.

Happy summer days.

Unknown said...

When are making those again?!!! You'll probably find us on your doorstep that morning... with whipped cream in hand. :)

JODI said...

I say juice up the berries and add a dolup of whip cream and I will be right over :-)