Tuesday, November 21, 2006

That's Enough Shopping for You, Young Lady.

I don't know what's gotten into me, but I've been doing more than my fair share of aiding the American economy. None of this damage would have occurred, by the way, were it not for the blasted Internet and its blasted ease-of-use and blasted debit cards and my blasted inability to sleep while the spousal unit is on a blasted business trip. Okay, but I couldn't help it. Because look at the purty bracelet: And check out my first-ever pair of Frye boots (technically, of course, this is just a picture of one humungous boot). Wow, V! Are those black? Why no, imaginary Nesting Ground reader. They're slate blue! But I didn't just purchase adornments, because life is all about balance. Which, in this particular circumstance, means...books! Always books. Here's Growing Up Brown: Memoirs of a Filipino-American by Peter Jamero:

One immediately thinks of Bulosan and America is in the Heart, of course, with the difference being that Jamero is second-generation. Ms. BJ makes the point that this territory has been covered and that as writers we need to move on, and though I agree with her on one level, on another I am continually drawn to these stories, both fiction and non-. Anyways, this looks to be a fine addition, and I'm looking forward to reading it.

And this is Typecasting: On the Arts & Sciences of Human Equality by Ewen & Ewen:
I have no hope in hell of describing it any better than the blurb at Seven Stories Press, which says, "Typecasting chronicles the emergence of the 'science of first impression' and reveals how the work of its creators—early social scientists—continues to shape how we see the world and to inform our most fundamental and unconscious judgments of beauty, humanity, and degeneracy. In this groundbreaking exploration of the growth of stereotyping amidst the rise of modern society, authors Ewen & Ewen demonstrate 'typecasting' as a persistent cultural practice. Drawing on fields as diverse as history, pop culture, racial science, and film, and including over one hundred images, many published here for the first time, the authors present a vivid portrait of stereotyping as it was forged by colonialism, industrialization, mass media, urban life, and the global economy." I've already started this one, and it's amazing. That's all.

My shopping binge ended with Patrick's My American Kundiman:

First of all, this cover is gasp-worthy. Second, I know that Patrick is a poet, but I can't help but think of him as a storyteller. And an extraordinary one, at that.

This ends the first installment of "That's Enough Shopping for You, Young Lady." Please join us for Installment 2, when Ver carefully chronicles her purchase of five pairs of plain white crew socks, fourteen paper clips, and two ponytail holders. Thank you, and good night.

1 comment:

Shuboy said...

a bracelet and boots??? SLATE BLUE Frye Boots???? Absolutely brilliant. This is proof positive that we are related.