Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Nothing

After I drop the kids at school, I usually take off on an errand run that seems to always include the trifecta of Mom-dom: Target, Trader Joe's, and Safeway (where, yesterday, I suffered the indignity of bagging Fuji apples while The Captain & Tenille's "Do It To Me One More Time" played over the sound system. Stop for a moment and picture that. It's sad, is it not?). There's nothing inherently glamorous about my day-to-day, but give me some lipstick and a cool pair of flats and I can turn anything into an adventure.

Today, though, I returned to my nesting ground. I hear only the hum of the fridge and, somewhere a few blocks away, the ubiquitous sound of leafblowers. I paid the existing bills and opened and filed the new ones. I returned e-mail, cleared the breakfast dishes (Risa left a nice chunk of her apple-cinnamon muffin behind; I ate it), swept the kitchen floor, and invited a playmate over for Lea tomorrow afternoon. And not once was my train of non-thought interrupted.

I have done nothing, and there is no other way to put it: I have reveled in the nothing of it all.

But now it's almost time to pick up Lea. Lunch, anyone?

No comments: