Wednesday, June 21, 2006

(Side)Swept Away

When my babysitter called in sick last Tuesday, I had no choice but to bring the girls with me to have my hair cut. Of course I called ahead to make sure the salon wouldn't be too busy. "Bring 'em in," the woman said. "It's fine!" And it was. Really. It's very simple to keep an eye on your children when you're in a completely mirrored environment, even when you're sitting in a chair from which you cannot move. The weird part was that I was so busy watching them in the mirrors and occasionally issuing a stern, "I see you. I see you..." that the entire haircutting portion of the experience was over before I had even truly registered that it was happening. I checked my own reflection as a sort of afterthought.

And then I screamed.

Well, inside. Inside, I screamed. Would you like to know what I screamed? I screamed, "Sideswept bangs? WTF?" And then I thought Eh, never mind. I'll fix it later.

So the next day I washed my hair and dried it only to discover...sideswept bangs. Okay, I thought, this is kind of weird. But I didn't worry because there's almost nothing that me and my metal-barreled round brush can't fix.

Except, it turns out, sideswept bangs.

Now, it's not that I have anything against sideswept bangs. They're perfect when I'm in an, I don't know, sideswept mood. They are of no help, however, when I'm in an I-don't-want-to-feel-any-hair-on-my-forehead mood. So, the problem I have with sideswept bangs is when they won't go away.

If anyone has any advice on this matter, you are obligated to share. Meanwhile, I'll be the woman sitting at a local cafe fixing her stories, reading her books, and fretting over all things sideswept.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

didn't i warn you about the side swept bangs? wasn't i complaing about them during one of my recent visits? no matter how mine are cut, the only want to fall straight down. they don't like to sweep to the side at all.

i've discovered that if i pin them to the side with a bobby pin right after i blow dry them, and keep it there during my drive to work, they are usually tamed by the time i get there. sometimes i forget to take out the bobby pin and look like a 12 year old at work though. that sucks.

Anonymous said...

You should have called Lui. She would have loved to babysit them. Take advantage while she's up there. Email me if you want her cell phone number.

Gladys said...

um, hairspray. although i'm sure you look great with sideswept bangs. very chic. but, yeah, when you don't want hair on your forehead, hairspray.

ver said...

Oh, sure, hairspray seems like the answer, but all that happens is that I end up with crispy sideswept bangs. Even yesterday when I plastered it all into a ponytail so I could go to the gym, halfway through my workout, down they came. Maybe if I go wavy?

Sarah, if you want to go sideswept, I'll take you to my gal. I swear she completely changed the natural tendency of my locks. BTW, you have a bobby pin in your hair.

Lenggay, good idea! I will definitely call Lu sometime this summer...

Anonymous said...

An Hermes Scarf:
http://usa.hermes.com/discover/Hermes.html

Gura said...

paste them down with gel, like the gel those guys get to make their hair perpetually messed up in clumps. but nothing's going to keep them from coming down after a work out at the gym.

kmargrett said...

hi, i'm a frequent reader and i see that you've obliged me to comment on the matter of sideswept bangs.. ;) i have them and have had them for quite a while.. i usually just get a bobby pin to get them out of the way.. it works 90% of the time. also, you can always use a headband.. the elastic ones, while you're working out and plastic ones while you're on the go. hope it works out!

Gladys said...

mm, so you don't like crispy, and i suppose you don't want to go back to the days of crazy high aquanet bangs. well, bumble & bumble has a great 'styling lotion' spritzer that you can use in conjunction with a bobby pin, hair clip, or cute hair pin. though it won't hold up during workouts; the headband suggestion would be best for that (it's what i'd use, although it don't look chic).

ver said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ver said...

Hey! That's what my hair looks like, kmrl! A little longer, but basically the same. You look completely adorable, btw. Me? Not so much. I resorted to a headband yesterday because of the heat, but I need to come up with a better long-term solution. I don't think I can cut it again until it grows out. Then again, my hair does such weird things that I may wake up tomorrow and find everything to my liking...

rcloenen-ruiz said...

Well Miss Ver, for what it's worth, I think you look chic enough to carry off sideswept bangs ;)

I've heard that washing your hair everyday ensures faster growth. It seems to work with me. If I don't visit the hairdresser on a regular basis, my hair turns into a wild thing. *grins*

cspencer said...

The problem with my bangs is that while they've learned--after many months--to stay, well, sideswept, I ALWAYS have a couple of stray hairs that just kind of get swept around, and it's incrdibly annoying :D

But for your problem I suggest a little hair spray, followed by immediate attacking with a fine toothed comb. It keeps them from getting crispy, at least for me.