Monday, January 09, 2006

What Madness Is This?

I have an affinity for Where the Wild Things Are. Pages from the book sometimes seem to materialize right in front of my eyes. Remember this? So I'm not sure I need a live action version of it coming to a movie screen near me. Even if it's directed by Spike Jonze and boasts a script he wrote with Dave Eggers.
And even if Maurice Sendak likes it. Even then.

Part of the beauty of the book is that the minimal text (368 words!) requires work from the reader or (this usually being the case) the child who's being read to. The illustrations are lush, yes, but there's still so much left to the imagination. Or maybe that's just me.

Memo to Hollywood: lay off the collagen, and while you're at it, keep your greasy hands off perfect, jewel-like children's books.

There. I told them.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Did you ever get to visit the Where the Wild Things Are attraction at the Metreon before it closed down last year?

Sendak reportedly liked it too.

ver said...

Hi Daniel...unfortunately, that was one thing I never crossed off my to-do list. Cuz I'm one lazy-ass girl...

Thanks for the link!