Friday, January 06, 2006

Wha?! So Soon?

Friday is a minimum day for the whole school (although Kindergarten always lets out at 12:10), and as a general rule the kids run around for a bit as mothers chat and look on with a detached bemusement. Even Lea gets in on the action, often giving much older kids a piece of her tiny mind. I'm surprised they haven't yet devised a "Chuck the Preschooler Out of the Yard" game.

So there I was gakking away with two of my pals when Vida comes tearing towards us—terror written all over her face—and hides behind my back. Close on her heels was Mr. Very Tall & Handsome Third Grader, flowers in hand.

"Vi, who's this?" She made some muffled sound behind me. Clearly, she was going to be no help. "Are you in college?" I asked him. "Because you kinda look like you're in college."

This disarmed him, and he retreated silently. Soon, another young lady caught his eye: Risa. She was climbing a ladder on the side of the play structure. Mr. Very Tall & Handsome Third Grader approached slowly, still clutching the flowers. He said something to her, but since his back was turned, I have no idea what it was. She was looking at him like he smelled bad, but I'm guessing that he interpreted this as encouragment because he kept on with his serenade or whatever the hell he was doing. Hanging by one arm, Risa continued to size him up with a hilariously imperious gaze. Finally, she said, "Look. We're not playing this game anymore." He skulked off, and then Vida emerged from behind my back and ran back out to join the fray.

"That's right, cute boy," my friend K called out softly. "Just take your flowers and keep on walking 'cuz that twin fantasy is not gonna happen today."

I'm pretty sure I fainted after that.

2 comments:

Gladys said...

i knew you'd be batting away the wanna-bes from your gorgeous children eventually, but i didn't think it would be starting so soon! good luck!

advlbca (merpeople-speak for "twin fantasy" - ahahahaha!)

ver said...

I think I can do fairly well fending off third graders, but I'm going to have to sharpen my wit a little in the years to come. I will probably have grown talons by the time they turn fifteen.

gowbe! (universal expression of horror)