Monday, October 03, 2005

"Everything's Scary"

I'm spent.

I don't know if I can emotionally stomach another morning running from preschool in tears. What's the problem, you ask? For a week now, Lea has been in freak-out mode when I take her to school. The amount of mental and physical energy this requires is astounding. By 9:30 in the morning, all I want to do is climb into bed. A brief chronicle of my descent into Hell:

Day 1: "Mama, I don't want you to go," she says. This is the first time she's expressed any sort of trepidation about being left at preschool. Believing it's a fluke of some sort, I stay with her for a few minutes. A few minutes turns into 45 minutes. For some reason, she snaps out of it at that point, and I leave.

Day 2: "Mama, I don't want you go to," she says. Again. I stay for fifteen minutes. Then I go to Teacher J. and ask him what I should do. He tells me that this is her way of saying that she loves me and if there is any possible way for her to stay with me, she will attempt to find it. When you're ready, he says, kiss her good-bye and tell her you'll see her at Celebration Time. After ten more minutes, I do this. She wraps her arms and legs around me like a monkey, and I bring her to Teacher JP. I pry her off of me, and leave her with him. I then run out of the classroom bawling. Teacher J. meets me in the parking lot and gives me a hug. "It's hard," he says. To which I silently reply, "No fucking shit." When I call the school 30 minutes later, they tell me she's having a great day.

Day 3: She will not get out of the car. "I'm scared," she says. The tears stream. "Everybody's scary." I attempt, unsuccessfully, to refute her claim. I do and say all the stuff I'm supposed to say and still she will not get out of the car. I leave her there and go into the school. "I can't even get her out of the car," I say. We talk child psychology for a few minutes. As usual, the theories are perfectly sound. Executing the "solutions" is futile because the damn "solutions" don't work. Finally, I say, "Okay. What would you do if you were me?" Three teachers say: "Bring her in." I don't see her in the car at first. Why? Because she has climbed all the way into the back and is crouching in the corner. I can't pull her out. I have to release all the seats until it's totally flat and I can drag her out. She's crying, she's doing the stiff-as-a-board move, she's begging. I manage to carry her down the stairs while she screams, "I want to go home! Where it's cozy!" Teacher JP takes her from me, and I make for the stairs, crying as usual. When I call the school 30 minutes later, they say she's doing "super."

And when I get there to pick her up, she's all smiles and cotton candy. She talks incessantly about painting and playing and singing and whatnot. When we pick up her sisters, she tells them, "I had a great time at pweeeschool." And I guess she did. And I guess this is going to get easier.

But I'm not going to count on it just yet.

16 comments:

Rebecca Mabanglo-Mayor said...

*hug*

Oh yeah, I remember these days. We still have them occasionally. It'll even be me whining about not wanting to go to work, but would rather just snuggle the girls all morning. Yeah, it's pure acid and flames hell.

So first, yes, I'm with you, I hear you. Second, yes, she'll do better with the morning routine as time goes one. Third, yes, you're more likely to be scarred for life than she is. *hug*

The only thing I'd add that might help is that I've been working with my kids using Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child. Basically it means that I'm learning how to see each 'breakdown' as a potential moment of intimacy with my child, to help her identify and work through her feelings. I've found that just saying "You sound really sad, and I know it's hard to be a part. What do you like best about school?" and going from there seems to help.

The other thing I've done with my eight year old is to talk about promises, that going to school is like living up to a promise, the promise that she'll show up and be there so her teacher can teach.

Other than that, thanks for sharing your world!

Rich Villar said...

omg what a cute kid awwwwwwwwwwwww

damn all my friends for making such beautiful babies. (grumbles)

hehehe, actually i remember BEING just like she was back in the day. didn't want my mama to leave me with a bunch of strangers. i distrusted and feared new people, new environments. and as (seemingly) gregarious as i am, it was a habit i carried into adulthood until i started performing my poetry. go fig.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Rich. What a cute kid.

I say let her drop out (just kidding!). I never wanted mine to go to school. I missed them all the time. I was probably the one crying in the back seat of the car. It must really be scary being that age.

JD

Anonymous said...

Ver, that sounds so wrenching. Having no kids of my own and not remembering my own experiences back then (I was always asleep when I was deposited in nursery school because I was an insomniac even as a four-year-old), I don't have any advice to give. I just wanted to say I feel for you and Lea, and I hope things do get easier as she gets used to school.

ver said...

Hi All!

Bec...thanks for the book recommendation! That title always catches my eye; I'll put it on the list right after The Wonder of Girls (which should maybe be The Complete Drama of Girls!). The crazy thing about Lea is that she's totally sane about the whole thing the night before, and then just goes looney tunes. Anticipating it is the worst.

Rich...I'm sure your Mama didn't really want you to go, either! Lea is highly suspicious, unlike her sisters who accept most things at face value. Craziness.

Hi JD! There have been days when I seriously consider letting her stay home! That would be like taking fifty steps back, though.

Gladys...The end is nigh, I'm sure. But lordy it's a bitch getting there.

Anonymous said...

Oh! I was just reminded. Making a present for the teacher helps. Then she feels above the rest.

Work and School are totally over rated.

The recently retired
JD

profile said...

ah your daughter...that face...a heart breaker...is she just like her mom? just curious. i'm eating leche flan. aren't u jealous? i'm so off topic. it's the flan.

OBermeo said...

for two years i would drive my sister to work and then bring my niece to day care and every day my niece would cry bloody murder when her mother would leave the car.

'tio oscar is going to take you to school, pookie'
"i hate tio oscar!"

what a way to start the day, earning the ire of a three year old

once mom did leave the car, i would put a Crystal Waters cd on. yes, she of 'gypsy woman' fame! but pookie was all about this other song called 'makin happy.' she would sing it all the way to the day care. where, of course, she would start to catch wreck the second i put the car in park. no joke, i thought that one day someone would call a cop on me cuz i went through the same hiding in the car routine you describe.

well, seven years later my niece has no memory whatsoever of the tantrums but she still loves crystal waters. ;-)

na said...

And then there's my eldest, Achilles. Sip. Whenever we have to leave him for some reason, he can tell. So he starts bringing us all of his toys -- Red Devil balls, tug-of-rope, rubber slinkeys, raccoon stuffed animal and so on....because if we play with him, he is thinking, we can't leave him....It's all very moving. I often sniffle as I leave him behind in the house as we, say, go to dinner. I get teary eyed when I glance over at the dining room windows and I see the tips of his ears standing up as he mournfully watches us leave. Sip. I need to refill my glass now. Writing about this is taking a toll....

na said...

Beautiful face, by the way. Your daughter looks (to me) very much like Ianthe Brautigan (yep, Richard Brautigan's daughter). I don't know if you can find Ianthe's face if you Google her...but I think even her author face on her book YOU CAN'T CATCH DEATH features her looking like Lea.

ver said...

ob...Crystal Waters?!! You funny.

Oh, Eileen...I didn't mean to upset you. Sip.

Weez is here! Weez is here! The thing is...the nonchalant posing? That's what she did for the first 2 weeks! But now she's figured out, "Oh. I have to do this. This is a...a...a...routine!" her fury is unleashed...

Jean Vengua said...

everything IS scary!

Anonymous said...

before she began school lea said in no uncertain terms she would NOT be going to school. it was fairly amazing that the first couple of weeks were so easy - this is much more real. remember you had to encourage her a bit to wean, enourage her to give up diapers, encourage her to sleep in her own space. little lea has a lovely life with a wonderful mommy. who would want to leave that?? but these little steps become leaps and bounds because you encourage her. the heartbreak is that we loose something so that they can grow strong. waa
jwg

ver said...

That's true, jwg: she does need plenty of gentle coaxing whenever transitions are on the horizon. Being in the thick of it, and then having her perform her elaborate snow job the first two weeks, I completely lost sight of THE REAL LEA! Thanks for the reminder. And wish me luck...tomorrow's a preschool day...

Rebecca Mabanglo-Mayor said...

Heya,

Thought you might be interested in this parenting blog that my daughter's school principal recommended. It talks a lot about the Encouragement Approach to parenting. It looks pretty good!

http://educatedparenting.com/

Bec

ver said...

Thanks Bec! Ima check it out...