Monday, September 12, 2005

Yes, Miss Alli

I don't know who Miss Alli is, but Miss Alli is right:

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt that he was being prevented from acting by bureaucracy and the sheer magnitude of the situation. Where are the stories of how he was in his office freaking the fuck out because there were tens of thousands of Americans trapped without food and water? Where's the story of how he ripped a strip off of somebody, demanding to know what the holy hell the holdup is getting water and food to those people?

I want to hear about how he was demanding that extraordinary steps be taken. I want to hear about how he sent his lawyers into a room—he had four days, you know—and demanded that they come back in an hour with a plan for him to send the Marines into New Orleans with 100 trucks of food and water, posse comitatus or not. I want to hear that he was panicked. Because I was panicked. Everyone I know was panicked. Everyone I know was gnashing their teeth with helpless rage because they couldn't get in a car, drive down there, and drive a load of homeless Louisiana residents back home with them for soup and a goddamn hot bath. I want to hear that he acted at some point out of genuine despondency about the fact that citizens of the country he is supposed to be running were being starved and dehydrated in a hellish, fetid prison. We are dancing around now about whether it is his failure or not his failure. Where is the decency that would tell him that he is the president, and FEMA is part of his administration, and this failure is his to own and apologize for, whether other people also were wrong or not?


Read the whole post right here.

***

[awkward segueway]

***

And now, a favor:

I trust that all of you will help to keep me in line. That you will not let my sudden rise to power go to my head. That you will be friend enough to say, "Oh, but Ver. You have gone too far." I need you now more than ever before. Why? Because I have just been granted the position of...hold onto your laptops for this one...Head Room Parent for Ms. A's Kindergarten class.

(I'm on a double dose of DayQuil.

In case you were wondering.)

10 comments:

Rebecca Mabanglo-Mayor said...

DayQuil Darlin? Yer sucha lightweight. *wink*

Head Room Parent, eh? Ability to control the destinies of not only your children but your children's friends... Mediatrix between the classroom Goddess who is Ms. A and the many parents who look to your for guidance... Keeper of the extra glue, paper, glitter, and popsicle sticks... Reader of great epics and Healer of all boo boos.

Of /course/ it will go to your head...just remember, your children will never forgive you though, if you embarass them in front of their peers.

*eyebrow waggle* Nothing keeps ya more humble than the regard of our children.

*hug* Congratulations!

OBermeo said...

more TROY...

[as the children rush the playground after hearing the recess bell]
VER: Soldiers of *Ms. A's Kindergarten class*! It has been my honor to lead you!

ver said...

and even more (an approximation) TROY...

[the children to one another as they file past me and my sword]

They say Risa and Vida's mother is an immortal goddess...

Anonymous said...

I remember those room mothers. I never volunteered to for that position because there were so many moms fighting for that "job." All I did was wait for them to call me and ask me to bring whatever was needed. I did, however, help the Kindergarten teacher in the classroom for a week when her aide was out sick. Talk about privileged.

Lenggay

ver said...

The only problem here was that no one volunteered for that top spot! Plenty of "soldiers," but—as ob would have it—no "king." So she e-mailed to ask me. Anyways, it ends up dovetailing nicely with some other stuff I'm doing over there, so it's all for the best...

Anonymous said...

Interesting... what exactly does this assignment entail? If nothing else, you can turn "the girl who wouldn't share" into "the girl who wet her pants because you didn't notice her raised hand". bwahahaha!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I'm on Alka Seltzer Plus Cold and Flu right now... it makes me evil.

Princess Leia said...

I'm sure you will bring honor and dignity to your new title, though I might have to one-up you here on your own blog! Sorry, cousin, but I am TEAM MOTHER for J's soccer, with all the rights, duties, and privileges of that station. :-}

ver said...

Kuya...I'm happy to report that The Girl Who Would Not Share is now R & V's friend. As Risa would say, "It's a good thing we didn't break any bridges!"

Dets...that is a clear one-up! *suddenly kicking myself for not signing up in time for soccer*

Anonymous said...

nice, comfy place you got here :)..