Thursday, September 08, 2005

Our Own Voice: September '05

The new issue of Our Own Voice is online, so if you're inclined to take a look at my story Bernie Aragon, Jr. Looks For Love, please do. And thank you to Luisa Igloria for her comments.

I'm looking forward to some quiet time to read the whole issue, particularly Jon Pineda's poetry, the interview with Sabina Murray, the essays by Dean Francis Alfar and Leonard Casper and, well, just about everything. An embarrassment of riches, if ya ask me.

Many thanks again to the folks at Our Own Voice for giving Bernie a place to hang up his apron.

8 comments:

Gladys said...

I loved it, Ver. Thanks for sharing.

OBermeo said...

great work, ver

(my fave part is the faux fight amongst boys... very compadre)

see ya around ;-)

Tracey said...

As always, beautiful. Just beautiful.

ver said...

Thanks for taking the time, you guys.

And did I mention how incredibly good-looking the three of you are?

Gladys said...

Oh, Ver, you're just saying that cuz you want me to say the same thing--though in your case, I wouldn't have to lie or anything--but how do I know this? Well, I don't have any photos of me on my blogs! So there! I caught you red-handed!

...but yeah, actually, I did want to say more specifically, now that I've had more time to digest the story: I loved the way you portrayed Bernie (a future manong) as a romantic, so that his feelings weren't just base sexual drives or just about feeling pressure from tradition to start a family; it was also specifically the desire for "true love," which I don't think I've encountered in writings about manongs, or about men in general. I was with him all the way, Ver, in love with someone despite their lack of good looks and character faults (like arrogance and vanity--pride and prejudice?? just kidding, hee). But I'm glad, like Luisa Igloria, that you didn't give him a "happy ending." The story was so poignant.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous

profile said...

good morning. loved your story. loved esp. the era "voice" in which you wrote it. thanks for going back in time and digging their personal histories to bring back to us. more reason to find an agent like, u know, now . . . :-)

ver said...

Thanks Kuya, and thanks again Gladys, and...look who's here...Bino! Thank you! And, as ever, thanks for whisperin' in my ear and reminding me of...stuff.