Monday, October 04, 2004

Tommy Used to Work on the Docks

In an effort to preserve parental sanity, we play as little "kid music" in the car as possible. If Risa and Vida have a hankering for such offerings, they are free to don their headsets (Lea can't get the hang of it--she always ends up with the spongy earpieces on her cheeks) and bliss out to Raffi. Otherwise, they listen to what we choose. So. On the way home from preschool the other day, I was flipping through radio stations when I heard the deliciously cheesy synthesized opening of a Bon Jovi classic. It was irresistible, especially when Jon's voice broke in with the unintentionally amusing, "Tommy used to work on the da-ah-ocks." For kicks, I stopped hitting the search button.

I checked the rearview mirror frequently and saw that all three girls were listening with great care. When it came time for the uber-corny, "...Take my hand and we'll make it I sway-yer/Oh! Oh!/ livin' on a prayer," lines, I sang along at the top of my lungs and flung my hair around. Not to worry--it was a residential area with very little possibility of an outright accident (almost took out a mailbox, though). And when the song finally reached its "We've gotta hold on to what we've got/it doesn't make a difference if we make it or not" ending, I switched off the radio.

"Did you guys like that song?"

Polite silence. And then Vida, unofficial spokeswoman for all three, softly said, "Mom? Not very much."

As if she was worried my heart would break, as if my well-being depended on her answer.

This gig just cracks me up, I swear.

No comments: