Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Wish U Were Here

Postcard from the Lake

I packed enough clothing to last our children twenty-three days, plus parkas in case it snows. In my own suitcase? One pair of underwear, two tank tops, and some hair gel circa 1998. One of these days I'll get it right.

Luckily, it's 90 degrees up here and very little clothing is needed at all. I'm sure I could cool off if I ever actually stepped foot in the lake, but I am not on friendly terms with bodies of water; it's a little known fact that I drowned in a previous life. I do enjoy sitting on the sand and watching the water, though. When I'm not looking down reading my book, that is. Or munching on a SkyFlakes cracker. Or watching for ducks out of the corner of my eye (it's a little known fact that I was attacked by a duck in a previous life). Or mocking my nieces' Scrabble moves.

It was my turn to cook for everyone tonight: empanadas, lumpia, sugar snap peas with sesame/ginger dressing, bulgogi (twelve pounds!), rice noodles with oyster sauce and baby bok choy, etc. etc. etc.

There are five empanadas left. Want one?

No comments: