Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I Scared a Boy

I don't generally run around doing this (oh, shut up), but at a family party on Sunday, I scared a boy. In my defense, everyone at the party was a known entity: a cousin, an aunt, an uncle, a lola, a whatnot. But the young man--19-years-old or so--paddling rice onto his plate was not. Had anyone else noticed the interloper? Was I the only one ensuring the safety and security of this event? Is my work never done?

"Who are you?!" I demanded. I demanded it gently, truth be told. He was only as tall as I am, after all, and how much damage can someone do when both of his hands are occupied with procuring foodstuffs?

He was startled, the poor thing--almost flipped his plate. "I'm...I'm Luisa's friend," he said. Some of my cousles (this is what I have decided to call male relatives who are technically uncles, but who are a bit younger than I am. Doesn't quite roll off the tongue, I know...), did an elbow nudging har-har-har thing, obviously enjoying "Luisa's friend's" discomfort.

"Oh! Hello," I offered.

He quickly worked his way around the counter in the general direction of the steamed fish. "And who are you?"

"I'm Veronica. Luisa's cousin."

"Oh. Okay." He walked away then and avoided me entirely for the rest of the afternoon. I can't blame him--if I had any choice in the matter, I'd avoid me, too.

And that is how "Luisa's friend" joined the ever-expanding list of people who watch me out of the corner of their eye. Just in case I do something...odd.

This post is dedicated to Lui and her new boyfriend, who look kinda sweet together.

No comments: