Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Every Party Has a Pooper

A friend of ours is throwing herself a 40th birthday party and--heaven help us all--she's settled on an 80s theme. The invitation, in fact, is her face circa 1984 cut and pasted onto the famed Devo Freedom of Choice album cover. "Wear your best 80s outfit," urges the invite, "and bring a picture of yourself from the 80s."

Problem #1: Like most mentally stable people, I long ago bid a not-so-fond farewell to acid-wash jeans, stirrup pants, Flashdance-like sweatshirts, black rubber bracelets, leggings, and anything containing shoulder pads. Psyche! I never owned a pair of acid-wash jeans. You may think that's the point I'm trying to make, but you'd be mistaken. The point I'm trying to make is that I have nothing to wear to this shindig.

Problem #2: A picture of myself from the 80s?! Why don't they just ask me to bring a picture of myself eight months pregnant and naked? Cuz I would find those two things just about equally difficult to share, my people.

Theme parties? Not so much, thanks.

1 comment:

Eric Rasmussen said...

So, here is your chance to go power shopping for the '80s stuff you may never have had. By now it's probably so cheap (E-bay maybe) that it may be one of the best bargains for a costume party you can get.

But maybe you should just buy a used maternity dress and a pillow to stuff under it. Let them remember a bit of the reality. Even in the '80s women were having babies.