Friday, March 19, 2004

What A Tangled Web

I routinely tell my daughters (just the two older ones) that if they do not take their nap, The Green Witch will take them away on her bus, and they will have to live in her Castle of No Love where they will only be allowed to eat the two foods that they so far loathe most in the world: green bananas and celery.

On those rare occasions when this story alone is not enough to convince them of the necessity of taking a nap, I will leave their room and close the door behind me. After a few minutes, I take a running start and open the door with the velocity of...of...of...something and with labored breath report that The Green Witch has just rung our doorbell. "She told me you weren't asleep, but I told her you were, and then she said, 'oh no they're not missie, you just go check,' and oh my gosh I can't believe it! I can't believe she's right!"

Then they start to scream while I say, "Hurry! Hurry!" and tuck in their blankets. Then I kiss them each on the top of the head, and they sleep for the required two hours.

Lasting damage, you think?

No comments: