Friday, December 05, 2003

Back In The Saddle. Kind Of.

In an uncharacteristically chirpy bounce back from my last two rejections, I put a story in the mail to The Threepenny Review.

Meanwhile...my crazed, glassy-eyed, two-fisted feast of online holiday shopping continues. My house looks like a loading dock, the UPS guy is my new best friend, and my three kiddos have discovered the unadulterated joy of stomping on bubble wrap.

Can we talk about homemade Chex Mix? Oh, let's. I'm speaking, of course, about the original recipe, not the "hot and spicy", "barbecue," "muddy buddy" or the odd Japanese-inspired version that my Auntie Yvonne makes. Original is the way to go. Except (okay, you could argue that the following adjustments stray from the concept of "original," but then that would make you bothersome) leave out the Wheat Chex and replace them with Cheerios and Crispix (because it's Crispy X Two!). And don't use pretzels or nuts or bagel chips. Do this and you will soon find yourself in a carbo-salt-and-butter stupor the likes of which you will not recover from until well into the new year. What are you waiting for?

No comments: